Weight

Weight
Welcome To The Strength Academy Blog!

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Scotland part 1 – kettlebell competition


 


Although I have been using kettlebells for many, many years – one of the first in the UK back in 2000/2001 - I have never really trained much for the competition side of it – Girevoy Sport. I put this right at the weekend and decided to compete in the Scottish championships in Glasgow.


Fantastic turnout and event!


The weekend had multiple agendas and was a combination of kettlebells and nutrition workshops that will be discussed in part 2. The reason I have never really taken to GS in the past is on multiple levels. I always enjoyed training for strength and endurance as separate events and never really combined these. I have also been competing in weightlifting for the last few years and the different energy system work really adds a lot of training time to the gym routine. However, I gave it a go and put myself on the line to get a decent baseline figure to check progress.



Now and then you find world champions at these events!

I decided to compete with the 16kg for the very simple reason that I have had a minor disc injury for 20 years and the double rack is the only position in any of my training that aggravates it. A pretty good reason to avoid GS until now! The other reason is that not being able to get both elbows to iliac crest means that the platform for rest is not present and the weights slowly fatigue the posterior section of the shoulder girdle in around 2-3 minutes. Having little expectation I racked the 16s and did my first 10. It did not feel too bad, but after a minute or so I knew that putting them down early was a very wise option and so at 30 reps they went back on the floor. Trying not to be hard on myself I would regard this performance as awful at best and I was not happy. My only option was to make some impact with the snatch and get some good number as it is my best event.


Off they go and Anna Plumridge of BoxBellFit.com got a Gold!

After the generous gap between events I got on the platform and started on my left hand as the timer began. I got the full 5 minutes left hand and with 85 reps switched sides. I did manage the full 10 minutes for possibly the first time and got 100 on my right. There were a few extra, but these were no counts as the fatigue made fixation quite tough at about 9:30 and so a few dropped short of the mark. 185 snatches was a PB for me and I was very happy with that. What made it event better is that it was enough to pull my score up for a bronze medal in my group and really made the day worth it.


Me with my bronze and some strange fingers that I hid away.

It taught me a lot about myself and also really encouraged me to take it further as most of the lifters I spoke to mention the jerk is much easier than snatch – same as Olympic lifting I guess – and with a jerk at rank 4 (16k 55) and snatch nearly CMS (32k 60) it is safe to say the foundations are there to make this an enjoyable journey.

Me, Russell Pearcy of KB3training.com. Steve Gordon of Tunovakettlebells.com and Anna.


Alexander Khvostov - world champion and elite lifter with the best coach in the world - Sergey Rudnev.

There is a shedload of trigger point, stretching and fascia release on the cards in order to get the elbows to rack eventually and also using the heavier weights will help pull the arms down lower on the torso. Like many things in life, you really understand what it is all about when you go out there and actively rise to the challenge. It was fun, it was educational and it will be repeated very soon. Now the real training begins as the analysis is complete and the program will take me forwards for future goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment